Latest Airline Reviews & Traveller Opinions
- 31 August 2009
- Amsterdam-JFK in Business. Extremely good value for money and by far the best experience on any of the North Atlantic carriers out of Amsterdam. Great seat, wonderful food and friendly service. Only negative might be that OpenSkies tries to do her best to be and presents herself different. We looked into the Premium Class as well and the seat over there are excellent as well. Naturally can’t judge on the food and service here.
- 30 August 2009
- Denpasar-Yogyakarta-Denpasar. Booked one week ahead and got a good rate. DPS-JOG early morning, new Airbus A319, take-off and landing ahead of schedule, full cabin and service good by a smart cabin crew. Return flight JOG-DPS late in the evening with 1 hr delay, full cabin again and the cabin crew great disappointment this time: giggling and laughing teens that clearly lacked professionalism. All in all very good value plus reasonable prices for food & drinks with a brand new A319 on this sector, but some members of the cabin crew need more training to become professional. Didn´t feel safe to fly with giggling teens who easily tarnish the promising image of the New Mandala.
- 29 August 2009
- The first time we have used Croatia Airlines and found them very good. Flights were on time. On boarding met by smiling staff who seemed genuine. After take off promptly served wine or soft drinks and a meal which of a good standard. All seats had plenty of legroom - comfortable and clean.
- 21 August 2009
- Just completed a trip with Skyservice. Leaving Toronto to Punta Cana the crew were helpful. Coming back was the opposite. Asked for juice for my child they said everything was locked up even though we were half way home, they announced coffee and tea will be served and it never happened. They served snacks right away because the rest trip back they were to busy taking inventory they could not help the travellers. It was a late flight and no pillows were given - overall very unfriendly no smiles and the can't be bothered attitude.
- 19 August 2009
- As a regular traveller on the London/Tallin route ,travelling economy and I have always found the service reliable and the cabin crew both helpful and competent with several languages including English . Sure there are odd occasions when slip ups happen ,but when they do Estonia Air has always tried to put matters right. Leg room is certainly adequate for short haul as generally the catering is adequate if not exceptional and is comparable with other European major flag carriers.
- 27 June 2009
- This airline is great I fly with them all the time and they never let me down. Witb clean cabins, professional crew, fast check in, comfortable seat, and good leg room are just some of the benefits with Northwest Airlines.
- 31 May 2009
- I often fly with Adria (50 flights per year). Since Adria is member of Star Alliance there are pretty good connections to the most destinations in Europe. The onboard service is good, staff quiet nice. Home base airport in Ljubljana has been upgraded and is getting more international. The business lounge is not on the level it should be - old furniture, bad food choice, dark. The 3 stars that have been given to Adria are correct.
Orient Thai Airlines
- 24 May 2009
- I have just got home after flying with Orient Thai from Phuket. I have now flown four return journeys from Hong Kong to Phuket with Orient Thai and I have just encountered my first (and, hopefully, last), problem with the flight. Upon boarding the plane in Phuket where the temperatures are at their seasonal high, we found out that the Air Conditioning was not working. As I was one of the last on board it was not too much of a problem for me, but a family sat close to me who had a baby about four months old, were frantically fanning him with their Airplane Safety Cards (I knew those things would come in handy one day!!) The cabin crew frequently went up and down the aisles dispensing water to those who wanted it and offering apologies to everyone. We were told that the CPU was to blame and this seemed to placate most passengers. Once we were airborne the A/C came on and everyone cooled down. The food was palatable considering this is a budget airline and the crew were polite and helpful throughout the flight. Orient Thai help me fly direct to Phuket and back instead of having to go via Bangkok on my return journey and the ticket is the cheapest one available. I will be flying Orient Thai again although I wish the peanuts weren't as hard as bullets!
- 17 May 2009
- My wife and I fly business a lot , esp. my wife. We often have meetings to attend etc. and leave time for minor delays. Here lately, Horizon has had great difficulty being on time. Connecting flights get put back and hours later you are still wondering if u will be on stand-by or sleeping in the waiting area. We are considering using another carrier. Enough is enough. Crew and pilots are great. Service is minimal. However, they seem to have a snowball effect in their scheduling. One delay screws up many, many flights, etc. and there is little if no back up. Thank you for the opportunity to express my views and experiences with this carrier. I guess that's where the consumer pays the price. We need them more than they need us?
- 30 April 2009
- we have also booked a flight with clickair which they have changed and im trying to get my money back! out of all the phone lines that they have only one works and the girl put the phone down on me saying it was nothing to do with her!! i only found out that they changed the airport which we are flying out of by chance, as we to connect flights it is impossible to make the other airport in time for the flight and i am still waiting for comfirmation by email or a phone call.
- 29 April 2009
- Go from Havane to Baracoa (Guantanamo)
- 26 January 2009
- We paid £639 for the tickets. Flight severely delayed due to mechanical (landing gear) problems. Had to wait while, as they interestingly put it, "try to find someone to come and fix the plane with a new part". Ten hours later after we were due to depart, we were finally seated on the plane. The aircraft was old and dirty. Seats ripped and broken and not affixed to the floor properly (floor screws loose). Tray tables broken on some seats. Flies in the cabin. Unhelpful staff. Vile tasting tea with no milk, tepid food. The pilots door was left open a lot thus posing a security risk. Had the most terrifying landing of my life on my return flight to London Gatwick. There was an announcement from the steward that there was a problem with the shim prop (something to do with the landing gear) and in broken english it was also announced by the steward "we should land okay". Now I really love flying but the descent was so fast my stomach was in my mouth for most of the descent and that in itself shows too fast a descent. As the plane hurtled closer towards the runway it hit the tarmac with such sheer force that everyone screamed. The aircraft sped down the runway at such a speed and didnt stop for some time. When we eventually came to a stop there was no apology from the cabin crew, noone were asked if the passengers were ok. I'll never fly Kathargo again, the airline does not care about their passengers and the planes do not feel safe. That landing has made me nervous to fly again. They need investigating.
Ariana Afghan Airlines
- 22 January 2009
- I travel not often but Afghan Airlines is not at all bad. I was pleased to have a breakfast on board and landing was good. No problems
- 05 October 2008
- Paramaribo to Port of Spain. check in slow but okay - left just 15 mins late. Breakfast - orange juice and slice of cake. FA's helpful and friendly - overall better than expected.
- 18 September 2008
- I've been travelling quite some years in "star" class. A good alternative deal for first class. Martinair only had 12 seats the last couple of years before they decided to have a more profitable deal with about 100 "comfort" class seats and eliminate the star class altogether, every seat in that class pays $ 130 more for a round trip. That includes 3" more leg room. There would be free wine/drinks with diner (also limited). That is normal with diner on an intercontinental flight. I have not seen any airline yet without a business class on such a long distance. I think they made a big mistake, even with having only had 12 star class seats. Why not keeping the 12 star class seats (at least) again (minimum), on top of 80 of comfort class seats and keep everyone happy!
- 18 September 2008
- Phuket to Hong Kong in Y Class. Boarding in Phuket smooth. Airbus 320 which was only 60% full. Food and bar-service done after take-off. The crew of six were helpful and polite. Service was very good, food quality and quantity perfect for a 3,5 hour flight. Crew came by with water and juice and full bar service on request was offered. Seating with lots of legroom compared to europaen airlines. Flight landed on time in Hong Kong. No IFE on an Airbus 320, but for the short flight no problem.
Ghana International Airlines
- 01 August 2008
- My father travelled from London to Accra on Sunday 27 July. His baggage did not arrive with him. He waited for over an hour for his bags in full view of the customer service agents. Only found out there was a problem when he approached them. He was then informed that the baggage was left behind in London and would follow on 30 July (three days later). On 30 July, we went to the airport, but no bags. Then to Ghana International Office where no senior manager would come and speak to a large group of customers whose bags hadn't arrived. We were assured the baggage would arrive on 31 July in the morning. Except later, we were told it would arrive at 4.20pm. Got to the airport to find the bags hadn't arrived, then we were given copies of a letter from Ghana International to say the bags would arrive on 2 August! I understand this is a regular occurence. Customer service is shocking. Compensation of a total of $100 was offered, which my father refused as an insult. It's his first and last flight with Ghana International. And all the customers with missing baggage say the same.
- 25 July 2008
- TIV-BEG return route. The 35-40 minute flight is quick and easy and landing in TIV can be spectacular. Flight crew seem efficient and reasonably friendly, but it scarcely matters when the flight is so quick. Ditto the meal, with which I seldom bother, opting instead for juice or tea. The airline is upgrading to new Embraer jets, which is a welcome event. From Tivat, they've also just expanded to service London (LGW), in addition to Paris, but the flight times are not hugely convenient. It would be great if they could add more routes from TIV. TGD-FCO flight which leaves mid-day Friday and returns Sunday night is brilliant.
- 11 July 2008
- Heathrow to Luxembourg on E145 and return to London City on a new Q800. Two crew on each flight. Who obviously enjoyed their job, despite both flight being full. On each occasion, the flight was slightly delayed. But the onboard friendliness and the wonderfully tasty snacks they serve, more than made up for it. They are not cheap though.
- 11 July 2008
- Moscow to Sakhalin - fly this airline and you will think flying economy class on another airline is like first class. The plane was 5 hours late due to mechanical problems, then we stayed onboard for about an hour on the tarmac, no drinks offered during this time.It was an 8 hour flight and the temperature on the plane was roasting. Smallest legroom I have ever seen. When reclined the seats in front crushed my leg, I had to recline my seat the couple of degrees that was available to be able to have some angle to slide my legs under the seat in front. You would have thought the water was the price of gold as they were reluctant to give any water out and was only offered half a glass of water in 8 hours. Toilets like a pig trough and were not cleaned in the 8 hours. Staff unfriendly not a smile amongst them.
Oasis Hong Kong Airlines
- 06 July 2008
- We just returned from HKG-LGW economy. It was 12 hours flight and the entertainment only work for about an hour - and staff were very child unfriendly both ways. Food was OK. Will not use Oasis HK again!
LTU International Airways
- 06 July 2008
- Bangkok-Dusseldorf. I was very grateful for LTU helping me to return to Europe but the ticket was very expensive (it was apparently the "last seat"). The plane was modern A330 Airbus - 13 hours with very little IFE in Economy. But the Cabin Service was disappointing - it was just a bit borderline unfriendly. It was an efficient enough flight but let down mainly by some unfriendly, unhelpful service.
- 04 July 2008
- Tashkent-Urgench-Tashkent. Staff try to get your money for everything, even if most of them knows me personally after 5 years of same destination - extra baggage, better seat, etc. When you want to reserve a seat, mostly you'll get a negative answer first. They will tell you that flight is full. What they do is reserve some seats for artificial names. That way, the flight seems full when you attempt a reservation. If you pay an under-the-counter fee, she will change the name on the reservation on your name, and you got your seat. Same during check-in : they will ask you to put your hand bag/computer/whatever, on to the scale. If you are somehow +20, they will start to make faces, and convince you that it will be too expensive if you pay official fee. They will ask you to pay half of the money that you'll pay officially directly to check in staff. I don't do that now, as the official fee is also is not that much. I simply ask them to write the extra weight, which I check each time, and go to pay to the counter. The officer in the counter is also surprised, as this is not very common. If you'll ask for a specific seat, they will make you understand that it is available against a small tip (2-3 USD). Don't, as usually, no one sits in accordance with the assigned seats, and it is almost impossible to convince the person who have sit to your place to move. In the past, you might also tip (20-50 USD) in the cabin and ask for a Business Class seat, but I do not know if this is still possible.
- 27 June 2008
- Recently travelled to LPA - booked and paid 46Euro for emergency exit seats for the leg room, got the seats ok but they have no extra leg room - standard seats. On the way back they decided to land in Tenerife and pick up more passengers so 4 hours became 6! Watch out when booking - you pay for anything and everything - so much so that the only people who get coffee are those that have paid for breakfast. When I asked if I could buy a coffee was told No!
- 25 June 2008
- Kuala Lumpur to Fuzhou (monopoly operator for the route) was rather chaotic. The flight attendants were fairly rude which may be attributed to the number of passengers who did not follow rules during take-off and landing. However, this is no excuse for the appalling level of service (or lack of). FAs impatient and unhelpful by international standards. Generally, this is expected from a Chinese domestic operator except the price was even higher than flights going the same distance to other Chinese cities.
- 23 June 2008
- BOM-DEL. Flight was late, eventually departing about 1:40 hrs past the scheduled departure of 1410 hrs. No information till I reached the boarding gate (I had picked up boarding card several hours before), despite providing my mobile number for SMS alerts while booking online. No explanation offered, nor apologies, even on-board, except the standard regret at touchdown. Very mediocre. That's two of two poor experiences with Go Air.
- 22 June 2008
- I was transiting through Damascus Airport. I had to stay for about 8 hours at that airport before going out to my final destination on Syrian Airlines. I had a business class ticket, so I approached the business class lounge to have some rest there until my departure. Astonishingly, the employee supervising the lounge told me that I can use that lounge only two hours before the flight time! When I inquired why, his answer was that these were the instructions of his Director General! From that time on, I decided never to go on board Syrianair again.
Avianca El Salvador
- 16 June 2008
- I have made several trips with Taca, on trips to/from El Salvador, usually changing in Miami, but also in Guatemala City and San Jose (Costa Rica). They haven't once been late, my luggage has arrived all but once (left in Paris by Air France) and the inflight service is far more friendly and helpful than most european airlines (especially Iberia). The seats are comfortable with better legroom than transatlantic economy flights, but I still get allocated in the emergency rows on a regular basis from San Salvador, which shows they use their common sense because I am taller than most of the locals. The boarding is well organised and adhered to by the customers. The first time I went to El Salvador and arrived at Miami off the Air France flight from Paris, I went to the information desk before immigration and a very helpful staff member took me to a waiting room and then to the gate. The staff all speak english, check-in is efficient and staff courteous. In San Salvador, customers can go to the office in the MultiPlaza shopping mall and check in a day early, which means that you don't have to queue with everyone else for check-in. The baggage drop-off queue is much shorter. Perhaps the only gripe is that they put the airconditioning on to the maximum setting while boarding, which can make one rather cold if already dressed for the tropics.
- 12 June 2008
- Manchester-Prague return . Outbound, no queue for check-in and staff pleasant and helpful. Walked straight through security and flight departed pretty much on time. The seats were wide enough and legroom pretty decent for a low cost airline, my only complaint was that the seats were quite short and didn't have headrests so felt a little uncomfortable (not that it really mattered on a 2 hour flight). Food fairly-priced and tasty; cabin crew polite and friendly. Bags came straight through on arrival in Prague. On the return good service from the crew but this time the seats were good - I later learned that Bmi Baby are retrofitting their whole fleet with these new seats. All in all a fantastic experience and at £80 return I can't fault them.
- 02 June 2008
- Marseilles - Geneva. Excellent flight and with only about a dozen passengers aboard I had almost the feeling of flying in a private plane. Leather seats and a bottle of Evian water and Foccacia bread offered complimentary were nice touches and gave a feel of luxurious travel at a reasonable price. Serving mostly deluxe holiday resorts in the western Mediterranian and exquisite cities like Venice, Florence, Geneva and Prague with small Dash aircraft certainly a niche product, but a very nice experience.
- 10 April 2008
- Edinburgh to Alicante vv in December 2007. Outbound flight time changed but we were given notice several weeks in advance. Only glitch there was their associated connecting coach service in Spain did not reflect the (time) change when we booked the airport transfer service from Alicante airport to Benidorm. We had to incur 5 euros administration charges to make the change later which was really FlyGlobespan's fault. Edinburgh-Alicante quite good, cabin crew friendly, seat pitch on B737 fine, snack menu limited but prices reasonable. Return flight, smaller aircraft (also a B737) seemed to have less pitch and it felt tight. From reading what others here mentioned, if the airline its ground customer service dept to pulls up its sock, eg reply to complaints promptly, keep passengers on the ground informed or assist them if there were delays, etc, this can be a good airline. Or am I too much of an optimist?
- 04 March 2008
- Sacramento - Oahu-Kauai round trip. Economy SAC to Oahu, fine. Inter-island was fine. Lost my driver's license in luggage pick up in Oahu and they were extremely helpful! First class back to SAC and it was good. Plenty of food and service. Very nice crew - very accommodating. And all this is Hawaiian Airlines.
- 27 February 2008
- Small but comfortable planes with friendly and efficient crew. Great for flights to Phoenix from smaller markets. Mesa Air is very cheap in comparison with other express airlines.
- 18 February 2008
- Paris-Bucharest on Christmas Eve. The flight was almost 2 hours late, rude flight attendants and discourteous ground staff. No apologies offered for this delay. MyAir has a strange 15 kg baggage policy, which seems to never get enforced as people are used to the 20 kg standard in the airline industry and refuse to pay for the overweight. The airline makes money of you and this is unfair practice in my opinion. I will not fly this airline again, as the constant flight delays on this route and the very poor customer service are just not worth the money paid.
Malev - Hungarian Airlines
- 15 February 2008
- London (Gatwick)-Budapest in Economy class on B737-600. Malev Cabin crew on a whole pleasant and providing drinks service on the ground during the delay, then inflight hot breakfast. No in-flight entertainment apart from moving map plus airline/oneworld promotions shown. The aircraft was new, clean and presentable. English spoken in addition to Hungarian by flight and cabin crew. Baggage reclaim quick at Budapest